Bridgwater United beat Brixham in forced FA Cup replay

Written by on August 18, 2021

BRIDGWATER United scraped a plucky 2-1 victory over Brixham last night in their enforced FA Cup replay.

That makes it the second time in a week that Bridgwater have beaten Brixham with this scoreline, the difference this time, there was no sin bins.

It was a match of few big chances which only added to the tense atmosphere felt by the fans and the players alike. 

Early on, it looked like both teams were finding their way into the match, but neither were in a rush to put their foot down.

A good piece of skill from Chivers from Bridgwater and a cross across the face of the goal by Brixham were the best early highlights.

Then on the 16th minute mark, a nice build up on the right wing by Bridgwater opened up the cut back to George King who hit the ball first time finding the net with his shot from outside the box. 1-0.

Bridgwater Mercury:

Brixham wanted a quick reply and if it wasn’t for an offside call they may have made it level before halftime.

The second half started but nobody told Bridgwater. They were off the pace for the first 15 minutes of the second half.

A barrage of chances ensued from Brixham and on the 67th minute, Josh Parry broke through the defence on his own and finished in to the bottom corner. 1-1.

Nerves could not be higher amongst the crowd, it seemed like momentum switched to Brixham’s favour.

Bridgwater Mercury:

Step up Tom Ellis from Bridgwater and his incredible long throw. He sent the ball flying into the danger area and Jacob Spence got the last touch to send the ball in the net. 2-1.

Ten minutes to go now and there was plenty more action. It seems an FA Cup match between these two sides has to be drama filled.

Brixham were constantly pushing forward, a number of offside calls went against them putting an end to their attacks.

However the last free kick of the game, with their goalkeeper up for it, Brixham thought they had got the ball over the line.

Celebrations began, and then pleas, when they realised the referee and the linseman disagreed.

Bridgwater Mercury:

Full time whistle followed and it is Bridgwater progressing to the next round.

Head Coach from Bridgwater United, Dave Pearse said the performance wasn’t his side at their best.

“I dont think we prepared properly, to be fair to Brixham they were very dangerous. We rode our luck and grinded it out,” said Pearse.

“We will need to be better in the next round against Ilfracombe, the FA Cup is massive for the club, we want to see how far we can go.”

The next round is on Saturday against Ilfracombe, luckily for Bridgwater it is a homme game, Fairfax Park, 3pm kick off.

Read the original article here (Link opens in new page, we are not responsible for the content from external sources)

Sedgemoor FM

Somerset's Hits

Current track